Updated May 20th, 2019
Some construction company buy land and employ a consultant to design and make a plan for the building. This type of company doesn’t need to go through the bidding process for selecting contractors (direct contractor). They generally employ sub-contractors for various work phase. They normally manage the project by their own project management team.
But when you are making your own building you have to hire a contractor to complete the project because you don’t have construction instrument and project management team. You just finance the project, the rest will be done by the contractor.
The above explanation doesn’t need to include in this tutorial. Because I started this tutorial for construction professionals. I described this so that beginners can understand the whole process well.
Now our actual tutorial is started from here.
After taking building permission for starting construction from government authority you can proceed.
8 Work-Phase of a Building Construction
Whatever you call these phases, construction-phase or work-phase, a typical building construction involves following sequence of work-phase –
- Sub-Structure work
- Super Structure work
- Masonry work
- Services work
- Finishing work, and
1. Mobilization: Mobilization is the process of making ready the plot for starting construction. It includes making fence all around the plot, making labor shed, ensuring services facilities, transferring construction tools and equipment to the plot, etc.
2. Groundwork: Groundwork includes cleaning the plot, leveling the ground, benchmarking, etc.
3. Sub-Structure: Parts of structure which are contacted with the earth is called sub-structure. Such as –
- Short Column
- Grade Beam
- Ground Floor, etc.
To know more details about substructure see Components of Substructure of a Building, BCT4.
4. Super Structure: The parts of the structure above the ground is the superstructure. Such as –
- Slab and Beam
- Parapet, etc.
Read Components of Superstructure of a Building, BCT5 to know details about Superstructure.
5. Masonry work: Masonry work includes –
- Masonry wall work
- Plasterwork, and
- Tile work, etc.
6. Services work: Services works are –
- Mechanical work
- Electrical work
- Plumbing work, etc.
MEP: The Services Work in Construction, bct-7
7. Finishing work: Typical finishing works in a building are –
- Painting work,
- Wooden work,
- Aluminum work,
- Metalwork, etc.
8. Completion: This is the last stage of construction of a project. This includes –
- Final touch
- Landscaping and Plating
- Final inspection, and
The above discussed “8 work-phase” are the typical stages for completely constructing a building. I designed this “building construction tutorial series” based on those “8 work-phase”.
As every work-phase contains several other work-items, I’ll discuss every work-item separately in this tutorial series. So, please subscribe to ACE via EMAIL to get an update when it happens.
Read the previous post of this “building construction tutorial series” here.
How would you like to divide building construction works into phases? Please share in comments…