Updated January 30th, 2018
Mosaic is often used in a residential building mainly for interior decoration purpose. Sometimes mosaic flooring is also done to increase the aesthetic look of a portion of a floor.
Although nowadays, readymade mosaic tiles are found in the market, sometimes we need to make a mosaic floor manually in a building construction project.
Mosaic flooring is done by assembling small pieces of stone or glass of different colors.
In this post, I’ll share a simple step by step process of mosaic flooring in a building construction.
Tools used for Mosaic Flooring
- Stone roller – 30cm dia and 45 to 60cm long
- Pumice – 20cm x 25cm x 7cm fitted with wooden handle.
Step by Step Process of Mosaic Flooring
Here is a step by step process of mosaic flooring –
- Lime-Surkhi mortar is spread over the concrete base and leveled. Thickness of the mortar will be 5 to 8 cm.
- Before drying the lime-Surkhi mortar, a layer of cementing material of about 3mm thick will be placed over it. This layer is consisting 2:1:1 ratio of lime, marble and pozzolana material.
- After some time, about 4 hours later, stone pieces laying is started.
- A stone roller is passed over the surface gently and water being sprinkled over now and then to work up the cement between the stone pieces.
- The surface is then allowed to set for 24 hours and is rubbed with a pumice stone to polish the surface and to make it smooth and level.
Share your Comments
Have you ever done mosaic flooring? Please share your experiences in the comments below…