Updated February 3rd, 2019
The responsibility of a civil site engineer is huge in a building construction project. Although you, as a civil site engineer, work as a part of a project management team, you need to carry out the overall responsibility for a building construction project.
I joined in building construction sector as a junior site engineer and now working as a project manager. I served as a civil engineer both in abroad and in my home country. I carried out various responsibilities in various companies.
In this post, I’ll share what I found as key responsibilities during working on various companies.
7 Key Responsibilities of a Civil Site Engineer in a Building Construction Project
Although responsibilities of a civil site engineer varies depending on the company’s rules and structure of the project management team, overall key responsibilities of a civil site engineer are as follows –
1. Completion of the project in time
Handover the project in due time is the prime responsibility of a project management team. As a part of the project management team, this is also the key responsibility of a civil site engineer.
To complete a building construction project in time, a project management team need to prepare “master Schedule” for the project.
Preparing master schedule is mainly project manager’s responsibility.
Depending on the company’s rule, you may need to prepare that schedule.
Based on master schedule, define the monthly and weekly target of the project.
If you track every construction task weekly basis you won’t have any trouble to complete the project in time.
So, to complete a building construction project on time, do the followings –
- Prepare master schedule for the project
- Prepare monthly plan based on master schedule
- Set weekly target based on monthly target
- Track weekly target daily basis
2. Ensuring Contractor Selection on Time
There are various types of works need to be done in a building construction project. Such as Civil works, Plumbing works, Electrical works, Painting works, etc.
All of these works are done by separate contractors. For example, the civil contractor does only the civil works like RCC and masonry works. Plumbing contractor does sanitary and plumbing work and tiles contractors do the tiles work on a building construction project.
Although contractor selection process is done by the project manager, you, as a civil site engineer, need to raise your hand to speed up the contractor selection for the different work item of the project.
Look at the project’s master schedule. When you are going to start the next work phase. ask for the next contractor one month before starting the next task.
For example, you are going to start tiles work after one month. So, ask for tiles contractor from today.
This is your responsibility to ensure smooth work progress of the project. So ask for required contractors a month ahead of your master schedule to keep the work progress smooth.
To ensure contractor selection on time, do the followings –
- Study your project’s master schedule
- Find out when you are going to start next construction task
- Start asking for the contractor a month before starting the actual task.
3. Ensuring Material Delivery on Time
It is the civil site engineer responsibility to ensure material delivery on time. So that, construction work progress doesn’t hamper due to the shortage of materials.
To ensure materials on time, you can’t order all the required materials at a time. You should order those materials which will be required immediately.
Suppose, you planned to construct 2nd-floor slab. So, you will need Mild steel bar for that slab only. If your order Rod for 3rd-floor slab also, you will block a huge amount of money which can be used for another purpose. This is not so economical.
So, order for materials which are really needed.
For ensuring materials delivery on time – not before the time, you need to do following things –
- Estimate the required materials for the task you are going to start next
- Make requisition for the materials. Mention material delivery date on the purchase requisition.
- Send the requisition to purchase department on time. In a company, it requires some time to be approved the purchase requisition. There are some formalities. So, make sure you maintain lead time for the material delivery.
- Track the requisition. So that you don’t miss the delivery date of the materials.
4. Ensuring Material’s Quality
This is another key responsibility of a civil site engineer. You need to ensure the quality of delivered materials.
I’ve published a handful of posts here in this blog on justifying the quality of various building materials on site. Search this blog to find those posts.
After receiving materials in the project, just check the quality of those materials.
5. Ensuring Quality of Work
Although there are supervisors in a building construction project for supervising the work-quality, it is your responsibility to ensure the quality of works.
To ensure construction work quality in a building construction project, do the followings –
- Train project supervisors about the quality of works
- Discuss with supervisors about work quality regular basis
- Give a brief speech to workers before starting the day’s work. Motivate them to maintain the quality of works.
- Regularly visit places where the works are going on.
6. Ensuring Safety of the Project
As construction deaths and injuries often occur, it has been another key responsibility of a civil site engineer to ensure safety in a building construction project.
Although many companies have their separate safety inspector, you, as a civil site engineer, should be conscious more about the safety of your building construction project.
Do the followings to ensure safety of your building construction project –
- Aware workers about safety
- Motivate workers to use personal safety tools
- Give them training on using safety materials
- Secure all the voids and openings in your building project
- Request safety inspector to visit your project and give you some idea and instruction about project safety.
7. Reporting and Billing
Another key responsibility of a civil site engineer is, to prepare time to time project’s reports and contractors’ bills.
Which reports you will prepare mostly depend on the rules of the project management team or the company.
However, you may need to prepare following reports –
- Work status of the project
- Budget for different stage of work
- Cost for a selected time duration
- Bill of contractors, etc.
Although these are the key responsibilities of a civil site engineer in a building construction project, you need to carry out overall responsibilities of the project.
Share your experience:
Which responsibilities do you carry out in your building construction project? Please share your experience in the comments below…