Updated January 25th, 2019
Procedures of mixing concrete by hand (hand mixing)
It is better to make a watertight & firm masonry platform before mixing concrete ingredients. If you already have one that’s nice.
- Spread the measured quantity of sand evenly on the platform.
- Dump the required quantity of cement on the sand and spread evenly.
- Mix the sand & cement thoroughly with a spade until it is of even color & free from streaks.
- Spread the measured quantity of coarse aggregate in another place of the platform and spread the sand-cement mixer on it.
- Thoroughly mix the whole mass at least three times by shoveling & turning over by twist from center to side then back to the center and again to the sides.
- Make a hollow in the middle of the mixed materials.
- Add three-fourths of required water and turn the materials from side to center with a spade.
- Add the remaining water by a water-can and slowly turn the whole mix over & over again until the whole surface of each aggregate become coated with the sand-cement mortar & the mixture become plastic to give a uniform concrete.
- While mixing & handling the concrete, hand gloves & safety shoes should be worn by labors & Masons.
- After using the concrete the mixing platform should be cleaned properly.
For which reason/reasons do you use hand-mixing concrete? Please share in the comments below…