As construction professionals, we always need to work with contractors. To deal with contractors properly, we have to conversant with the roles and responsibilities of a contractor in our construction projects.
If everyone would carry their duties properly then the world would be perfect. But that doesn’t normally happen.
Contractors also sometimes don’t carry their roles and responsibilities in the construction project.
So, we often need to remind them of these.
In this post, I’ll discuss what should be a contractor’s roles and responsibilities in building construction projects.
Before that, I would like to discuss how a contractor can be involved in a construction project. Depending on this a contractor’s role can vary a little bit.
Typically there are three parties involved in a construction project – the owner, the project management team and the contractor.
The possible situation of contractor involvement in a building construction project is-
- The owner hires a project management team and the team hires a contractor. In this situation, the contractor will work under the project management team.
- In another situation, the owner hires a contractor and the contractor employs a project management team. In this situation, the project management team will work under the contractor.
However, all three parties have their separate roles and responsibilities which are essential to complete the project successfully.
Regardless the way of contractor involvement the roles and responsibilities of a contractor in a building construction project are the same with a little variation.
5 Key Roles And Responsibilities Of A Contractor In A Building Construction Project
Generally, a contractor is responsible to plan, execute, supervise, inspect and direct a building construction project from start to finish regardless of the scope of the project. The contractor ensures that the project complies with all the specifications as outlined in the contract documents. As such, a contractor has many roles.
But we can combine them in five key roles. Under each role, a contractor has several responsibilities.
#1. Role Of A Contractor In Project Planning
Based on the project completion date, the project management team make a master schedule for the project.
To complete the project on time as per master schedule, the contractor has a huge role in planning.
Responsibilities Of A Contractor In Project Planning
- The contractor should plan ahead all the crucial project development and implementation details.
- Identifying and estimating various project issues like the required materials, equipment, and personal needs.
- Forecasting any potential changes.
- Implementing a reliable communication strategy among all involved stakeholders.
- Highlighting all legal and regulatory issues and requirements.
- Outlining an effective safety policy.
#2. Role Of A Contractor In Project Management
Another key role of a contractor in building construction is project management. As the contractor needs to complete the project on time, he needs to carry some responsibilities in project management.
Responsibilities Of A Contractor In Project Management
- Arranging funds to complete construction tasks.
- Arranging materials for various tasks as estimated.
- Providing required construction equipments.
- Hiring required subcontractors to complete the job.
- Raise bills for the completed tasks as termed in the contract.
#3. Role Of A Contractor In Project Monitoring
To complete the project as per specifications and mitigate various issues in the project, a contractor has a huge role in project monitoring. He normally needs to carry out some key responsibilities in this field.
Responsibility Of A Contractor In Project Monitoring
- Monitoring time schedule.
- Implementing cost-effective methods.
- Monitoring work quality.
- Implementing materials management system.
- Monitoring safety related issues.
#4. Role Of A Contractor In Legal And Regulatory Issues
The contractor also has a role in legal and regulatory issues. Under this role, he has some responsibilities to make sure the project isn’t violating any legal terms.
Legal And Regulatory Responsibilities of A Contractor In A Building Construction Project
- Making sure the project is in compliance with all the necessary legal and regulatory issues.
- Acquiring all the necessary permits before proceeding with the project.
- Paying or ensuring to pay all the fees and taxes required to complete the project.
#5. Role Of A Contractor In Health And Safety Issues
As health and safety is a big issue in construction, a contractor also needs to carry out a huge role in this.
He generally needs to carry out following responsibilities in the role.
Role Of A Contractor In Health And Safety Issue
- Ensuring health and safety in the workplace.
- Implementing a safety procedure and standards for the project.
- Ensuring the usage of safety equipment in the project.
- Implementing effective risk management and communication strategies.
- Ensuring safety awareness among workers.
When a contractor is employed in a building project, he obviously signs an agreement. Based on the agreement, the roles and responsibilities of a contractor may differ.
But the overall roles and responsibilities of a contractor are somehow the same as I discussed in this post.
Did I miss anything in this post? Do you want to add any roles and responsibilities of a contractor in construction projects? Please share in the comments below…