// // Leave a Comment

Terms Used in Concrete Formwork

Many of us say that civil engineering is a boring subject. I also sometimes feel like so. But when I create (complete) a product (building) I feel proud. I'm blogging with this boring subject. So, I always try not to bore you by keeping my post short. That is the reason for not including this post with the post "Concrete Formwork Basic"

There are many terms used during the making of concrete formwork. For better handling the formwork operations those terms are described below for you.
Concrete Formwork Terms
Panel Form: Reusable form, which can be used many times, is called panel form.

Stationary form: Stationary forms are those which can't be reused.

Stripping: We remove formwork after satisfied duration. This removing operation is called stripping.

Propping: Providing vertical support with props is called propping.

Bracing: Protecting props from horizontal moving is known as bracing. Bracing is done by binding one vertical support with others. Generally this binding is done with 12 mm dia rod. Normally bracing is provided at periphery of slab formwork. But, if the slab formwork is too high than bracing is provided on inside vertical support also.

Strut: Inclined supporting system provided to wall-form (such as column) is called strut.

Soffit: Shutter that is used below the structure is called soffit. Such as beam bottom shutter.

Form face: Shutter side which directly contacts with concrete is known as form face.

Camber: To counteract the unavoidable deflection in horizontal member, a desired up place is given to member that is known as camber.

Camber wood: Wood that is used along beam under slab sheet is called camber wood. This Camber wood is used to provide camber to horizontal member to prevent deflection.

There are many other terms used in concrete formwork in the different locations of the world. If you know any please share those with us in the comments…..


Post a Comment